Here are some useful tips you can use to speed up your apple mac:
1. Download CCleaner from the App Store. It deletes all unwanted cookies and chache. It only takes a few seconds to run and saves an awful lot of space!
2. Remove items from the desktop. These slow down start up speed as they have to load up before you can access your Mac
3. Clear items off dashboard. You may not know this but these items use up awful lot of background RAM, slowing down your mac.
4. Remove unwanted startup items. This can be done by the following
•Launch System Preferences by clicking the System Preferences icon in the Dock, or selecting System Preferences from the Apple menu.
•In the System Preferences window, click the Accounts icon.
•In the Accounts preference pane, select your account from the list of user accounts resident on your Mac.
•Click the Login Items tab.
5. Remove/delete any unwanted programs!